Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Delicious is Saved!

I'm sure no one cares about this nearly as much as I do, but I was pretty excited to read about it today...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/27/youtube-founders-buy-delicious_n_854428.html

Follow up to the question, "What is delicious?"
It's a social bookmarking site. I used to keep all my tech-related resources here to share with all of you, until I heard it was going away and I got very sad. So, I moved to a service called Diigo and transferred all my saved links here.  You can view lists that I've created just for teachers or for parents.  Though I stopped saving my bookmarks to Delicious a while ago, I still have my account, if you want to take a look.  http://www.delicious.com/hollylara

Both Delicious and Diigo allow you to save resources (or you could have your students contribute to a bookmark collection) and then tag them by topic for research. LOTS of possibilities.

For use on a personal level, it's a nice service if you use multiple computers, because your bookmarks go wherever you are. :)  Both Delicious and Diigo have add-ons for web browsers that make them even easier to use.

More on Delicious....from Christine Cupaiuolo at Spotlight on Digital Media and Learning
Plus: In other tech news this week, YouTube founders Chad Hurley and Steve Chen acquired the social bookmarking site Delicious from Yahoo, quenching fears among Delicious users that the free service would be discontinued (whew!). Here's a FAQ about the transition. 
I frequently recommend Delicious when teaching social media workshops, and there's usually an audible "Ahhhh" whenever its potential for gathering and organizing information is revealed. While there are some similar services, none seems quite as simple or handy--especially for learning environments. 
In fact, writing today at Poynter, Katy Culver discusses why Delicious is "an ideal teaching tool for tagging content to share with students or other teachers." For those just getting started, Teach Web 2.0 has a useful wiki on learning and using Delicious in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment